Mission

Providing an empowering discussions on issues relating to pregnancy, birth and family life; and offering information on local resources.

If you are in the NW Indiana area or South Burbs of IL please contact me for more information on Prenatal or Labor services. littlecriesandlullabies@gmail.com

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Brewers Diet- Gestational Diabetes

I was on the verge of having Gestational Diabetes. I tried in vain and through prayer not to get this! I squeeked by! YEA ME! Many woman are not so lucky! In effort to learn more about how to prevent this, I was given the website for The Brewers Diet by my Midwife, Cindy Lybolt just in case.

The Diet created by Dr. Tom Brewer, was created in effort to help women have healthier pregnancies and babies! Much of the diet is Protein, Protein, Protein!  The plan is on the site, as well as the guidelines to follow this.

http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id13.html

Q: What is the Brewer Pregnancy Diet?
A: It is a diet that was developed in the 1950's and 1960's by an obstetrician, Dr. Tom Brewer, to help women have healthier pregnancies and healthier babies. In the process of his medical education, and researching the work of Hamlin, Strauss, Burke, and Ferguson--doctors who had worked on this issue in the 40 years previously--he discovered that the cause of pre-eclampsia and some other complications was an abnormal blood volume, caused by malnutrition, or food deficiency. The diet consists of 14 food groups. However, it can be summarized as starting with 4 basic components: 2600 calories, 80-120 grams of protein, salt to taste, and unrestricted weight gain

Personally I did notice a difference how I felt and I truly believe this helped me ALOT to get through the remaining months of my pregnancy. I'm not endorsing this but it did wonders for me! Please share with your Health care provider, Midwife or Doula before starting this diet or any other diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment