Mission

Providing an empowering discussions on issues relating to pregnancy, birth and family life; and offering information on local resources.

If you are in the NW Indiana area or South Burbs of IL please contact me for more information on Prenatal or Labor services. littlecriesandlullabies@gmail.com

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

You are still breastfeeding?


When people find out I am still nursing Mini Man (who is 16 mths), I have head shakes, puzzled looks, laughs and "Seriously?!"

I find I have to defend my choice for doing so more often then not and what surprises me more is so many Moms tend to give a disapproving look to me. I almost feel bad to the point where I feel I should look at my feet as though I was 4 years old! I also feel a bit sad that the world around has such a box idea at how long a woman should nurse her children.

I have found many view breastfeeding a child as a exhausting or chore. Or "Wow! Don't you want your boobs back?" Or "Isn't he old enough to drink from a cup or something?".

I enjoy the bonding that I share with my child. I enjoy the comfort as well as the good start he has as he grows! Sure, you can save a bunch in your pocket book! The true reason I breastfeed is more of the nurturing side of motherhood that I love.

My Alex, that is now 12 years old, was breastfed until she was 3 years old. I told myself that when my child is old enough to pull my shirt up for a sip or in public I would cut her off. Sure enough, we were at the park and she ran up to me, sweaty and hot, looking for a sip. I was chatting with someone and next thing you know my shirt was up to my neck and she was in process of whipping my breast out. Oh, yes thank goodness the woman I was with thought it was hilarious and no one else seemed to notice! I laugh about it now but at the time I was so embarrassed!

I nursed my first until he was 10 mths, for some reason my supply dried up on it's own. With my second, Jessica, I was only able to nurse her for a few days, due to the high blood pressure meds I was put on, but that was enough for her to ingest the ever important colostrum. And Alex, well you just learned the story about her being weaned abruptly! So, right now I am in no hurry to wean Kalven.

In many countries breastfeeding is done from birth until they are 7 years old or a wee bit older! I don't believe that will catch on here. But for a woman to give it a notion to try even if it is for a few days is a wonderful thing!
  • Eat more and lose weight faster: A breastfeeding mother needs 500 extra calories a day because the body burns that amount while breastfeeding. She'll be back in her pre-pregnancy shape quickly.
  • It's easy and convenient: There's nothing to buy or prepare so it gives the mother much more freedom. Breasts are always there and the milk is always warm and ready.
  • The mother can snooze during night feedings and it's a wonderful thing!
  • There's a very special bond between Mother and Baby and it's the natural way to feed
  • There's less spitting up, no stains and the poop doesn't smell!
  • Protects against some breast and ovarian cancers: While breastfeeding, estrogen levels are very low. Research has shown that the longer you breastfeed, the risks for these cancers goes down
  • MAY delay menstrual period: Again, estrogen levels are low and many women think they're well protected from conceiving, but ovulation may still occur
  •  Studies have shown breastfed babies have less allergies and ear infections!
So! Think about! Visit La Leche League for information, www.llli.org/nb.html , about breastfeeding your little one!

No comments:

Post a Comment